Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Big Week...

Wow! What a week! I wanted to blog earlier in the week but it just didn't happen. I guess I'll go thru the big events one at a time... On Monday, I cut my hair off. I new I wouldn't last long because it was coming out so fast. It wasn't the greatest cut but it was cute enough for how long it lasted...haha!
Tuesday, I had my port put in. I'm sure this is going to be a huge blessing but Tuesday was a rough day. They went in thru my chest under my clavicle and put the port in through about a 2 inch long cut, and then inserted the tube into my jugular vein! YIKES! So Tuesday night was rough but the Dr said the surgery went perfect and after a few days I have started to feel a little better. BUT when I got out of surgery on Tuesday I noticed an inch part on my head that was compltely BALD! I kept wondering what they did to me in he hospital but realized that my hair was just falling out THAT fast! I couldn't believe it!
Wednesday I parted my hair on the other side and made it through the day. It was my mom's birthday so we all went to dinner which was fun then came back to my mom's house for a head shaving party!!!!! It was time....I was so tired of my hair falling out in clumps and getting everywhere!
Here is my before picture right as we got started.


I went first and my hubby did mine. He was VERY excited about it!



Check out the smile on Rafa's face!



Yikes, if you look close on the left you can see my big bald spot before we started shaving.




I reached up and felt my head....and started breaking down just a little...but I recovered fast.




Almost done!









Zac, me and my hubby


My 12 year old nephew Zac has always had a special place in my heart. We have been close since he was little and when he found out I have cancer he asked his mom if he could shave his head with me when I lost my hair. I think his mom was more nervous than he was about it. He is such a sweet boy and it meant so much to me that he wanted to be a part of this with me. My husband was already on a roll so we let him shave him too!






MOHAWK!



Look at the excitement on this boy's face!!




My hubby was next!



I shaved an R in his head just for fun!



Just about done!



The Three Little BALDIES!



I am SO grateful I shaved my head and grateful for my families support! It has been a miracle that I have actually been handling no hair really well. It feels so much better and my husband is so sweet and always tells me how pretty I am. I've gotten a couple little hats because I can't wear my wigs yet because my head is too sensitive but I love not having to pull my hair out anymore AND it takes me far less time to get ready!!! BONUS! haha. I guess some things that you think will be terrible, turn out to be miracles.




































6 comments:

  1. Amber, no lie, you are gorgeous with a shaved head! Seriously!! I did it when my hair fell out while I was sick a few years ago and I didn't look that cute. Wear that bald head with pride girl! I'm so impressed with your attitude and your supportive family! Prayers coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber, I am go impressed with your bravery! I didn't resort to the razor till most of my hair fell out. Maybe it helped that my hair was pretty short then. It's really short now too. My hair started growing back abt mid January and it's between 1 and 2 inches now. It started as peach fuzz, but has come in thicker and wavy.

    I think Mom told me you too have to get the Neuprogen (sp?) shots to build your white blood cells. They always made my body ache all over, but Jim would rub Peppermint or Lavender oil on my back and abdomen and it helped me sleep at night without taking the prescribed pain pills I tried to stay away from. I'm sending you a bottle of each. They are all natural and should be very safe for you and baby, but check with your Dr. before trying. Peppermint, particularly, also helps with headaches.

    Well, keep your chin up and know "this too shall pass". It's hard, but like you said, "I am so thankful they have a treatment that cures this cancer".

    May your treatments fly by faster and faster, may you have a beautiful healthy baby, and may your hair grow back better than ever before!

    Love to you and Rafa, Mom and Dad, and all the rest of your wonderful Family.

    Jim, Twyla, and the Gang

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You really pull it off, Amber! Just like you do all your looks. ;) I'm proud of you, friend! We need to hang out sometime soon!!!

    <3 Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your positive attitude throughout this process is really admirable. You're so cute and so strong at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sending lots of love and prayers from Michigan, Amber, You got this!

    ReplyDelete